Girl in the Checked Shirt


I woke, I ran, stood ready for another day
Clouds whispered “we’re about to rain”

Escaped the rain, I caught the train
Scampered & stood at a juncture
Began to read my Jeffrey Archer
She saw me, looked me right in the eye
I glanced from the edge of the book, trying not to pry

Our stories unfolded like a game of cards
Time grew wings, 17 minutes had passed
She got ready to disappear, “hey, we’ve just met” my heart began to mourn
“Don’t go,” the words ran upto my lips, and died before they were born

We’ll never see us again
Never in heaven, never in hell

Will remember her frozen in memories
Sleeping in me with my life’s stories

It wasn’t no lasting love, it wasn’t no smashing lust
It was a rainbow born outta rain, sun, & crystal dust

Will miss her, a girl I didn’t even know
Before we could walk that road, she had to let go

Don’t even know if she was real, if any of it is true
May be I’m lost, my mind going askew

May be I should’ve run away with her where no one has gone
May be I should’ve held her hand & kissed her till the break of dawn

Listening to Kings of Leon, my eyes sang to hers
“What if this is the end, what if the train never leaves the bend. What if we’re here forever.”

I may be insane, maybe I’m so wrong
Part of me still believes her eyes heard my song

Will I remember her tomorrow, or she’ll outgrow
I don’t know, and I cannot know

This flawed poem will live & in these grey words will live her shadow & soul

I will remember her unbroken eyes
Will remember her almost smile
Will remember the curve of her breast
The rivers of emotion flowing across her neck

Will remember her hair, thick & black
Taking a nap, lying across her back

Will remember speaking to a stranger without words
Her blinking eyes, her heaving nerves

Was she beautiful, like an angel to adore
She was more, more than the body she wore

She met me in a dream, maybe I was awake
Letting her walk away was such a mistake

She came, she kissed, flew away like a bird
To me, she’ll always be the girl in the checked shirt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Indians Super Dumb?

Sherlyn Chopra -- Koffee with Karan

Is Oppenheimer Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film?