Goodbye Grandpa

                                             
I dove into a dream of you deep into the night
Kept swimming till the morning bird cried
Was still bumping into old memories when I woke to a sun smoking bright

Dark clouds engulfed my eyes, ears trembling with the thunderous death knell
I was too awake to know you’ve gone to sleep to never wake again
Now I’ve gotta get used to the change
Now that you’ve flown to a better place

Thoughts breaking me in the already broken places
I walk about your home; in every sinew I can sense your traces
I feel the shivers entering, opening your door
Watching Djokovic vs. Federer, without you asking me the scores will be such a bore

When we brought your cold body & grandma pulled the sheet off your face
Seeing you still the clouds in my eyes broke into tears like rain

I won’t embarrass your soul, will celebrate you, not mope & mourn
You were rustic like the flintstones, lived life like the rollingstones

Our friendship was born before the internet & the cable TV
Long before the humans went nuts over FB & selfies

You held my hand & introduced me to sports
From the cricket fields to the tennis courts
Cheering for Steffi Graf & Gabriela Sabatini
Uncorking your jars & pampering me with chocolates & candies
Going nuts over Sehwag’s blitz & India’s victories
Dissecting each delivery & discussing India’s fortunes
Humming as we listened to Kishore & Burman’s tunes

The tragedies & comedies we plucked off the newspapers
Me on the couch, you in your favorite chair
Always looking debonair in your dyed black hair

You always set aside loose change for the stray beggars
Dressing dapper to go to the temple for daily prayers

Grandma would make us treats & sugarless teas
Wondering if I too, like you, had diabetes

In my teenage years I’d sit & bitch about my pimples
But you couldn’t give a damn about your million wrinkles

All your life you gave to the Indian Army
Fighting the violent wars, not caring for the trophies
Sharing a tent with comrade Anand Bakshi
Who went on to become a lyricist legendary

You’d tell me about your clan
“I love my only son even if he’s impolite & slack
I’ve seen my five daughters grow from frocks to rocks, can protect me from the fiercest attack
Gaurav, your grandma, in her day, was more beautiful than Katrina Kaif”

Never saw you tired or walking with a cane
Always with a glimmer in the eye & an inquisitive brain

When the sun would sink, you’d savor your scotch & soda
And I would take sips of my ice & coca cola

Last thing you asked me was to get married
Someday I will, for now I love living like a gypsy
I didn’t have an inkling those words would be our last
Your going away has hit me harder than a blast

In the years to come I’ll grow frail & gray, waking up will become more difficult than giving birth
I will know it’s time to say goodbye
I will pack my bags & depart the earth
And first thing I will meet you in the skies

Sitting on the clouds, rolling the clock back, will share stories & teas
I’m already stitching these dreams; someday my frozen dreams will melt into reality

{Goodbye Grandpa, love & respect.........I’ll be thinking of you}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Indians Super Dumb?

Sherlyn Chopra -- Koffee with Karan

Is Oppenheimer Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film?