Tamasha


I screwed up two dates in three days. Even by my miserable standards, that's god awful. Second debacle had a silver lining; I got to sit on two seats as I watched Imtiaz Ali’s Tamasha.

At midnight, I tucked into my sheets. Before I disappeared into the world that lives in between what we call life, my heart said to me, “When girls go out on a date, they want to feel special, told their hair smells fabulous, receive a flower or two, get a chair pulled and told literally that the dress they’re wearing is pretty, but it’s pretty only because they’re wearing it. But you have none of these qualities because you’re an asshole. Just give up already & let the girls live in peace for Christ’s sake.”

I took my heart’s words with me into my dreams. I asked myself “Why haven’t I given up, already. Aren’t I tired of this Tamasha?”

I’m.

There is a girl I loved - we loved crazy. We were to marry & make babies. She married & made babies with someone else. There’s a girl I loved - we loved. She’s now with someone else, and she loves me. I love both of them. And it always fascinates me how people unlove someone who changed their life.

I’ve travelled 300 kilometres to be at the wedding of an ex. I’ve travelled 8000 kilometres to ask a girl out – only to find someone already did & they were dating & mating. I have gone out on several dates with a lesbian without a darn clue. I’ve dated a girl who forgot to break up with her boyfriend. I’ve hooked up with someone who forgot to tell me she has a boyfriend. I’ve gone out on a date with a girl too young to vote. And I’ve been told I’m best thing happened to her – And I’ve been told I’m the worst thing happened to her – by the same girl.

I’m tired of this Tamasha. But, I keep playing. I’m incapable of giving up on love.

Before I went for the film, every bird-brain desi had categorically asked me not to watch the film. I knew I had to watch it. I love Imtiaz Ali. And once I love someone, I can't abandon them. So, even when my date abandoned me, I stayed put & thanked my karma for the extra cushioned reclining chair.

This review, like all my reviews, doesn’t have an agenda or contain spoilers or a plot summary {if you’re curious about the story, go watch the damn thing}. And my love for Imtiaz fails to cloud my wicked judgment.

Film’s strapline read “Why always the same story.” The deal is, once you’ve such a tagline then you have to make sure the 154 minutes of someone’s life you’ve taken become memorable.

As I got up after the curtains fell, I knew one scene I will remember for the longest time. And I’m certain most of the people will not even really understand why I pick this particular scene. And I don’t mean to be rude but if you don’t get this scene then you really haven’t loved.

It is a scene in a bar when Ved (Kapoor) tries to leave after telling Tara (Padukone) she loves an imaginary Ved. Tara asks him to stay, he doesn’t relent, she pleads him, he doesn’t relent. As he’s walking away she pounces at him, holds him, he’s stronger & pushes her away. She doesn’t give in & pulls him down with all her might & holds him down till he gives up. Moments later, both are lying on the table crying.

In this moment Kapoor & Padukone rise above the ordinary Indian cinema. In this moment, they exhibit the hurt of a true heartbreak. I do not know how much their real life love story assisted them. How can I?

The film’s premise is nothing new. The film's making certainly is. It may seem indulgent & niche to the aam admi. How someone finds the film is a personal opinion & is bound to vary. I will break it down for all sets of people. If you love Salman Khan, love SRK of Rohit Shetty films, loved Aamir Khan’s Dhoom 3, don’t bother. If you love Imtiaz Ali & your dreams are still not thoroughly crushed by the incessant money-making, then ditch everything & watch the damn film.

To me it isn’t Ali’s best - Far from it. If I were to pitch Tamasha against Rockstar {and I know pitching is shit business}, I will say barring Fakhri (understandably), Rockstar takes Tamasha to the cleaners in all departments.

Tamasha’s music is relevant to the storyline but that doesn't take away the fact that Rahman has stolen all the tunes from his own previous works. Songs are hummable but not one song blows you away. And I expect the songs to blow me away when A.R. Rahman writes music for Imtiaz Ali with the lyrics from inimitable Irshad Kamil.

Most people will say Kapoor is magnificent in the film. I think the role isn’t challenging enough for him. Kapoor needs to find a role that will challenge him like Janardhan Jhakar (Rockstar) did in 2011. I’ve a thing for Padukone; she looks like one of the two girls I love. Smart ones would’ve noticed I said she looks like my ex, not my ex looks like her. I love my ex, not Padukone – that’s the difference. And the even smarter ones would have noticed I wrote love not loved.

Anyway, Padukone has come a long way from Farah Khan’s trashy mega-hit Om Shanti Om. And in case everyone has forgotten, Kapoor’s debut film Saawariya simultaneously clashed-&-crashed as Padukone’s debut smashed records in 2007.

All said & done Tamasha is an experience I’d have regretted missing.

Sometimes Rahman won’t mesmerize you with his compositions - Sometimes Ali’s story-telling won’t be pulsating. That’s life. The girl you marry will get old – the guy you marry will go bald. Your mother isn't pretty now like she was when your father said the vows. But, she's still your mother & she's still the one your father comes home to.

Sometimes it’s about taking a chance even when you know you’re going to drown. Either you'll miraculously find a way to live & laugh or you'll drown & die. It’s still a million times better than living your life like everyone else. That's what Tara & Ved's love story is all about - about never giving up.

May be that’s why I still haven’t given up.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Indians Super Dumb?

Sherlyn Chopra -- Koffee with Karan

Is Oppenheimer Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film?