I'm a Coward

I've gone through life
Committing legalized crimes
Mirrors shiver at my sight
Sitting here, I'm contrite
Writing this poem to set the record right

i’ve overlooked cow vigilantes, when they butchered minorities
i’ve orchestrated gaslighting, when i made her doubt her own sanity
i’ve executed fatshaming, when I trolled fatkid Sonakshi 

I've seen women hurt and strike
mentally torment men & stood bemused
i’ve seen eve teasing & sexist jibes 
Instead of intervening, I turned gutless mute
for the longest time, 
i didn’t rise for mom against dad’s physical abuse
I can say I was too young to put up a fight
but that’s just a sissy excuse

in high school, i fell in love with this girl
but i didn’t reveal my heart to her
because i was too scared of the outcome
what if she didn’t reciprocate my love; 
what if she didn’t think I was her one.

I've lied & said 'I love you' not to break someone’s heart
I've said men & women are equal when I know equality is a farce

with all the honesty in me, I’ve also bribed
with all the compassion in me, i have stayed silent on genocide
I eat animals when i know it’s a grotesque crime
i’ve made love to someone’s girlfriend & kissed someone’s wife

i have threatened another human with violence
i’ve seen an injured cry & yell for help 
but i didn’t have the heart to get out of friend’s Benz
and left the man for dead
i didn’t fork out a dime for thousands that died in tsunami floods
i didn’t join protest in icy january for the fear of police’s cold water canons
i’ve called vegan activists nazi turds
when i know i’m the one
who deserves to be pooped on by the birds

i make jokes on hindus, christians, not muslims
because i’m a pansy avoiding getting lynched
everyday i suck on a branded 200-buck coffee 
when millions die of curable disease
because they don’t have 100 rupees 

i’ve shown no guts, stood with hands on butts
when i saw drunk punks treating girls in skirts as sluts
asking their rates & threatening them with rape
still I go to bed tucked under my velvet quilt 
when 9-year-olds are fucked by delinquent rapists

all the times i’ve been a coward to escape getting killed
i have also pulled off good shit

stayed true in relationships
withstood their mad fits & love them to bits
didn’t let ego screw my friendships
did what’s right even if i pissed the closest kin
never donated money into ramdev’s tins
thrown my trash in designated bins
never discriminated on gender or color of skin
didn’t add to human trash by having kids
I’m an olympic-level anti-nationalist
who openly calls out BJP for being fascist
who disses those practising eat-all-day navratra fasting
who reminds people believing in god is schizophrenic

but i know just because I don’t pour full cream milk on shiv lings
and don’t sell weed to kids
i don’t wash away my every day sins

i’m still a coward who isn’t giving enough back to this earth
who’s gotta raise the bar and give his all for what it’s worth
in the wall of humanity, there’s a big cavity
love and solidarity are replaced with bloodshed & insanity
technology is flying like ferrari
humanity is crashing to orthodoxy

i don’t know if anything I will do will fix the broken
but i gotta make a start by stop being a chicken
grow balls & battle out religion & Kim Jong-Un
And become a man who’s ready to burn his fears & turn his ambitions 
to light up a star to shine humanity’s darkened heavens
carve a world where animals & humans live as one 
and the universe recovers from Alzheimer's & remembers to fall in love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Indians Super Dumb?

Sherlyn Chopra -- Koffee with Karan

Is Oppenheimer Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film?