Society Treats Women Like the Handicapped

 7 years ago, Dilbert comics creator, Scott Adams wrote this:

“The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It’s just easier this way for everyone. You don’t argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn’t eat candy for dinner. You don’t punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don’t argue when a woman tells you she’s only making 80 cents to your dollar. It’s the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles.”

7 years ago, he got mountains of hateful brickbats for comparing women with little children & the handicapped. 7 years ago, I didn’t know who Scott Adams was. 7 years ago, I didn’t read his abrasive opinion. 7 years ago, had I read his caustic words, I could’ve been instinctively appalled and called him a misogynist like the feminists did. 

7 years later, I’ve read 100s of insightful novels & a bunch of books by Scott Adams. Now, I know who the hell he is & what the hell he was talking about. 7 years later, I know that he wasn’t a misogynist, he was talking from decades of experience. 7 years later, I’m talking from my experiences & the short answer is I agree with Scott Adams. We, collectively as a society, definitely treat women like little children & the handicapped and also (I'll add) like old people.

P.S. Before I begin, I will, as an unwarranted courtesy, tell the three groups: 1. The Emotionally-driven 2. The Intellectually-bankrupt 3. The NaziFeminists - that I, under no circumstances, am saying that women are like little children or the handicapped. Neither was Scott Adams.

If anyone wants to read further, they must drop the ‘emotion & sentiments’ and pick up ‘reason and objectivity.’

When I was 10, my sister was 1. She had mesmerizing noodle-like hair, cashmere-smooth skin, and dracula nails. And she was an asshole like most kids are. One day, she, without provocation or reason, ran her gillettemach3—sharp nails across my not-so-beautiful face & left wild scratches. I retaliated on instinct and pushed her. She fell on the stairs and started crying so loud that even the glorious azaan loudspeakers were put to shame. My mom, who was washing clothes with her hands and a cricket-bat-like wooden object, came running &  beat the crap out of me. I still recall my mom’s words ‘You stupid, moron? You just hit a one-year-old kid.’ Immediately, I knew I was stupid. I knew I shouldn’t be hitting anyone who was weaker than me even if they were assholes. 

At age 13, in boarding school, I was reprimanded for being insensitive for not giving up my seat to a classmate on crutches in the auditorium even after he asked me to (for the record, like my one-year-old dracula-nailed sister, he too was an asshole.) I was told that the boy required the seat more than I did & I should always be mindful of that in future.

While growing up, I realized a few things - don’t hit or abuse kids and the handicapped. Be more courteous, sensitive & kind toward kids, the handicapped and old people. 

Now, when I look back & go over two decades of conscious experiences, I recognize that the rules - in the modern, civilized society - which apply for the children & the handicapped also apply for women. Why it particularly stands out is because those rules don’t apply towards men.

One. If, like my one-year-old sister, a grown-up woman scratched my still-not-so-beautiful face & I pushed her in a public place, people will label me a women-beater. No such labels will come flying if I change the gender of the scratcher. 

Two. If I kept sitting on a seat & didn’t give the seat to a totally fit man who outrightly requested for it, no one will cry foul. Reverse the gender & people will shake their heads & give me a zero on respecting women.

Three. When a house in the neighborhood with kids, handicapped & old people, catches fire & two able-bodied humans are standing outside - one male & one female, the male will be expected to go save the humans stuck in the fire. 

Four. Have you ever seen a seat reserved for men? All we see is seats reserved for handicapped, old people and women. The troubling part is handicapped & old people need the seat, but women are automatically considered needy not because of some ailment or age, but because of their gender.

Five. If two similar-aged people - a girl & a boy - were seen walking together and the boy was holding three bags & the girl one, no eye-brows will be raised. Reverse the scenario & suddenly the boy will get the looks as if he’s the most tyrannical human to have ever lived.

Do you really want me to go on? Alright, I will.

Six. After getting married, women can decide to become a homemaker, but a man will be crucified if he wants to be a homemaker. Just the way children, handicapped, and old people aren’t expected to pay for themselves, women too are given a choice.

Seven. If someone sees a man, a woman, a handicapped, and a child sitting on a street shivering in the cold, and that someone has three small blankets - take a guess who will get left out.

Eight. If your country is at war and needs one person to enlist from each household. One household has five people - a woman, a child, a man, an old person, a disabled person. Take a darn guess, who will be the top choice to get enlisted. 

Nine. If you see four situations - and in each situation, a person is getting beaten - 1. woman. 2. child. 3. old human. 4 man. Who do you think will be the last person to get assistance.

I can go on, but I don't want to. It breaks my heart. And before you mistake me, I will say that I'm undeniably pained by the society's treatment of women, but what breaks my heart is when women accept this image of themselves. To start with, stop sitting on those reserved seats, & start protesting against all the things you got that you don't deserve, & then go back to protesting for all the things you deserve but were stolen by men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Indians Super Dumb?

Sherlyn Chopra -- Koffee with Karan

Is Oppenheimer Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film?