We Do not Die Once

Like all you Insta wizards, I didn’t pick my country of birth
I was born in a culture where we shot dead our dreams everyday before we hit the bed
Where dreams are traded for the job with the fattest paycheck
Where our balls are crushed if we're honest
Where religion is deadlier drug than crystal meth
Where we prefer to pretend; too scared to offend
Where we bow to elders even when they’re wrong
Where girls are strangled when they’re born
Where degrees are preferred over dreams
Where silence is preferred over screams
Where love is for the beautiful queens we see on the silver screen

Where people can’t curse the country
Even when its patriots are the terrorists
Who kill on suspicion of eating cow's meat
Where people rape kids & never go to jail 
Where people are slain for saying they are gay 

My dad was a narcissist drunk
My mum’s life had million troubles
But her heart was tough as diamonds
For decades, she worked from dawn to dusk
Never bought herself a damn thing & saved every buck
After my high school graduation
She sent me to the first world for higher education
For five years no magic happened to me in Melbourne 
But life was swell and I was still fucking young

And then one day on the first day of April lightning struck
I don’t know if it was destiny or good old luck
When I met her on one of life’s turns
Even before she appeared, I could sense her scent
Making me want to swim in her soul if she let it melt 

Day one, we held hands; Day three we became friends
We both knew we have fallen in love on April 23rd

That night I slept like a man who didn’t give a damn if he never woke
As time rolled, we became inseparable as Jack & Coke
They always tell you your girl won't love you if you're broke
But she always loved me & I was always broke

She was under the weather when I proposed
Tears strolled as she smiled ‘Oh Gosh’
We set a date to tie the knot 
But there was a wicked twist in life’s plot
Even before walking the aisle, we got divorced

Now I'm old & the best days are in the yore
Some days I’ve the glow; most days I’m morose
Some days I’m funny as dope; most days I’m boring as Pope
Since I last saw her, thirteen years have flown
Everyday I paint poems and stories from the ink of my soul
I don’t know much but I know one bit for sure
I wouldn’t have known the miracle of love had it not been for Mum, Pearl & Rose

I know now there won't be another April 23rd
I know now that no one who fell in love ever dies once

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Indians Super Dumb?

Sherlyn Chopra -- Koffee with Karan

Is Oppenheimer Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film?