A



Superstitionists swear breaking a glass brings good luck
I broke one as I headed out for the first time to meet her
I rushed, typed on my cell, and shot a glance at the winter sun
And almost tripped embarrassingly on the speed breaker
Girls walking next me broke into a subtle chuckle

An hour later we walked towards each other at the station
She picked me up in her dainty scooter soaked in character
We ditched storming to generic malls
Went to an aesthetic open air tea stall
Here she cozily sat in her spot
Reminisced how her last date bombed
I spoke non-stop like a nutjob robot
Making her wonder if I was a wacko & should she bolt
She didn’t, instead asked me to come for a brisk stroll
Later we drove, picked Bud and rolled towards home

She didn't let me in through her home’s threshold
She let me in through the door to her unfettered soul

Taught me how to smoke pot from a bong
As we listened to rustic Iranian songs
Introduced me to Haley's inimitable version of Creep
Felt wow to smoke classy hash not trashy weed
And for the first ever time in living history
Someone beat me at the frequency of loo visits

Some time later, she sensed me lean closer
Uninhibitedly she asked if I want to kiss her
I gestured yes, but she wasn't impressed
Urged me to say it like I mean it for real
I did & the distance between our lips disappeared
Our first kiss carved something nameless & visceral

Till hours ago we were bona fide strangers
Now we were intertwined & making love
We felt closer than Emma & Dexter
It revealed how time is an elaborate illusion

Songs remind us how things aren't how they were meant to
It happened when their song began to coo
Bouncing off the walls chimed Perfect Two
She teleported back to him in a time machine
To a time when their hearts were in sync
And life hadn't played tricks
She shared with me her half-decade long love story
She told me how it went to shits
When she kissed someone who wasn't him
She was candid & told him about her one-off slip
But he couldn't take it, felt his trust had been kicked
They had a vicious tiff & went through the torturous split
Their love lay abandoned which took years to build

We changed the subject, got off the bed & decided to get fed
She cooked me yummy upma & fried eggs
We ate together as the time continued to melt

That night lying next to her I had goosebumps
That's rare for someone numb & broken
I slept like rock star even on a bed that was uneven
Next morning the sun went on an early vacation
The clouds opened up - the rain fiercely drenched
Us wandering mortals on earth

We read together & sank into haunting Caitlyn Siehl
She read my raw blasphemous rap-poetry & disagreed with its ending
I read her gently woven metaphoric daughter-mother narrative
The only one she had ever published

She told me about another one of Trump's assaults
She felt torn when she thought I didn't care for women's right to abort
I get it as my demeanor appears cold – my heart people tell me is a stillborn
She forgave me after I lightened the mood with countless awful jokes
Then in the rain, she took me to Rajuda’s Singing Tree
To drink large cups of gingered tea
Over samosas and I also had peculiar Bengali rasmalai

I stuck around for another long while
Finally, I realized I was becoming a parasite
I tied my shoes & said it's time for us to divide
Between hi & bye the distance we traveled was infinite

Like I had feared, now she's disappeared,
No, you can't see 'em, but my tears are real


I had said bye - now it feels that was goodbye
Because I didn't sit down sad & sigh - my face is dry & I didn't cry
Doesn't mean a part of me didn't die

Because I'm not in trauma and I got no drama
Of sobbing on the shoulders of my momma
Doesn't mean my heart is in coma
When I get a chance I'll show her, she's the real Rockefeller

Now she's gone, I won’t sulk & mourn
Because of her a part of me was reborn
She came like a hurricane & left a part of her in me engrained
She left something of hers that's still floating in my heart's lane that I can feel in my blood & veins
And every time it will unexpectedly rain, I know I will think of you, A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are Indians Super Dumb?

Sherlyn Chopra -- Koffee with Karan

Is Oppenheimer Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film?